Famous for the mountain gorillas, Rwanda is a discerning and amazing country for adventure seeking visitors and today it is becoming one of the top tourist destinations in Africa. Rwanda’s gorillas are the main star attraction that pulls travelers to this country since 1970s when the gorillas captured the world’s image when Dian Fossey came to study the mountain gorillas.
On your safari to Rwanda, catch a glimpse of nature’s miracles through our fantastic landscapes, the magnificence of wildlife and the warmth of our people. See the unrivaled biodiversity, dramatic mountains and volcanoes, some of the oldest and most precious rain forests on earth, a glittering skein of lakes, rivers and waterfalls and three stunning national parks.
Rwanda’s wildlife boasts 13 species of primates (25% of Africa’s total) and a remarkable 670 species of birds, many of which are globally endangered.
Name: Republic of Rwanda (Republika y’u Rwanda)
Location: East /Central Africa
Borders: Uganda, Burundi and DRC
Climate: Temperate with two rainy seasons
Language: Kinyarwanda (official), French (official), English (official) and Kiswahili
Volcanoes – Rwanda is a land of verdantly rolling hills and no wonder it is known as the land of a thousand hills.
Wildlife – Rwanda has 13 primate species including the world famous mountain gorillas, chimpanzees in Nyungwe Forest, Golden monkeys, black and white colobus monkeys etc. The Akagera National Park also boast of several wild animals that include a wide range of antelopes, zebras, buffaloes, giraffes, hippos, lions, leopards, spotted hyenas, golden cats and giant forest hogs.
Birds – Rwanda is a birders paradise, home to over 670 bird species including the fabulous Shoebill Stork and the elusive Great Blue Turaco.
Places to Go
- Volcanoes National Park – home to the endangered mountain gorillas. It is located in Northern Rwanda, protecting the steep slopes of the Virunga Mountains, a range of six extinct and three active volcanoes) Check out the Visit PNV Rwanda website for more planning information
- Akagera National Park – Located just 75km east of Kigali, the park is the best place for those looking to game viewing. Home to incredible wildlife including buffaloes, zebras, jackals, leopards, lions, etc and 525 bird species.
- Lake Kivu – It is the best place to visit for a leisurely holiday, characterised by white sandy beaches and sultry hotsprings. Take excursions to various islands, Kibuye, Cyangugu, Gisenye etc.
- Kigali – the Capital city of Rwanda, with world class hotels, restaurants and bars. It is one of the best places to experience the Intore Royal Ballet. Visit the Kigali Genocide Memorial Center, a permanent exhibition documenting the 1994 Rwanda Genocide.
- Butare – the intellectual and cultural pulse of Rwanda, home to the National Museum and the Royal Palace of Nyanza.
- Nyungwe Forest – one of the oldest forests on earth, dating back to the last ice age. It is home to 13 species of primates, the best place to see chimpanzees.